Held every year in the heart of Europe, Brussels, the IMPAKT Breast Cancer Conference brings together breast cancer researchers, clinicians and other medical professionals focused on breast cancer, to advance the implementation of new discoveries into clinical practice.
Established by BIG and the European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO), IMPAKT is Europe’s niche conference for translational research in breast cancer.
The conference is particularly beneficial to young scientists and oncologists, who have the opportunity to interact with leaders in breast cancer research and treatment.
Translational research is defined as transferring the findings of laboratory research, clinical studies and trials to practice settings, for the benefit of patients. Having these discoveries translated into clinical practice is what patients need, but it is equally important that data collected in the clinic gets back to researchers to allow them to dig more deeply into the biological behaviour of the disease.
Every year, IMPAKT gathers about 700 breast cancer specialists from over 50 countries around the world. They have the opportunity to hear opinion leaders debating how to turn the latest scientific discoveries and new technologies into clinical practice, and into real value for breast cancer patients.
PRE-IMPAKT TRAINING COURSE 2017
The IMPAKT conference is preceded by a Training Course specifically designed for researchers early in their careers that aims to provide them with the tools and basic notions to understand translational research.
In 2017 the Training Course will take place on the 3 - 4 May 2017.
Designed by Drs. Christine Desmedt, Fabrice André, Peter Schmid and Bruno Sinn, the course is dedicated to young, early-career oncologists, pathologists and basic science PhD students, providing them with an understanding of key topics of translational research that are relevant to patient care in breast cancer.
Together, the training course and the IMPAKT conference itself offer early career researchers a unique opportunity to develop their understanding of current developments in breast cancer research and implications for clinical practice, while interacting directly with the key leaders in this field .
- To understand the importance of translational research and how its integration can advance solving current clinical problems for breast cancer patients
- To understand essentials in breast cancer biology and immunology
- To understand importance of molecular targets in breast cancer and basic concepts in drug targeting, including basics in statistics and clinical trial design
- To understand the rapidly evolved research areas on new techniques and technologies and their relevance for research and treatment of breast cancer
- To understand from different perspectives, the concept of translations of research findings from the biomarker to the clinic
Following completion of the course, participants will receive accreditation from ESMO-MORA as well as CME.
- Receive a high-level scientific overview of ongoing translational research in the field of breast cancer and exchange opinions with breast cancer researchers, scientists and clinicians
- Get perspective from top experts about advances on a molecular level exploited for clinical purposes
- Stay up to date with scientific progress in breast cancer research as the therapeutic road from the laboratory to the clinic shortens
- Focus on premier data and technologies that sharpen the knife of molecular dissection and define the cellular structures that determine responsiveness to novel therapies
- Present your research data to a high-profile audience of international experts, where the focus is on hot topics in breast cancer research that are of interest to multiple disciplines
- Network with specialists from all breast cancer research related disciplines
View the Training Course Programme
IMPAKT 2017 will be taking place from 4 May 2017 till the 6 May 2017 in Brussels, Belgium.
Abstract Submission is now open!
Abstract Submission Categories :
Detection and diagnosis
Early breast cancer systemic therapy
Advanced breast cancer systemic therapy
Genomics and proteomic analysis of breast cancer
Biomarkers in breast cancer (prognostic, predictive and pharmacodynamic)
Breast cancer host immune and stromal biology
Mechanisms of metastasis
Imaging (preclinical and clinical)
Preclinical breast cancer biology
Breast cancer target identification and validation and preclinical models
New drug development
Abstract submission deadline: 1 February 2017, 23:59 hrs Central European Time
A restricted number of travel grants to IMPAKT 2017 are available, upon application, to first author (= presenter) of candidates under the age of 40 who submit abstracts considered deserving of recognition. Selection will be made by the IMPAKT 2017 Scientific Committee on a competitive basis from among the accepted abstracts.
To apply for a travel grant, the following documents must be received by the IMPAKT Secretariat c/o the ESMO Congress Department on or before 1 February 2017:
- A letter of introduction by the applicant. Please include the following general information:
- How relevant are the topics presented during this Conference to your current practice and research?
- Have you attended any event on a similar topic in the last 3 years?
- How do you believe your attendance at this Conference will help you improve your knowledge in the field and your professional development?
- How do you consider that the findings published in your abstract make a relevant contribution to the topics presented during this Conference?
- Have you recently been awarded an ESMO travel grant? If yes, for which event?
- A copy of the submitted abstract (the applicant must be the first author and presenter)
- A readable photocopy of either identity card or passport
- A short curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages).
Documentation must be sent by E-mail to email@example.com.
The IMPAKT 2017 organisers will provide the recipients with a subsidised travel ticket, subsidised accommodation and Conference registration.
Travel grant recipients must submit a report detailing the benefits of participating in IMPAKT 2017 by 13 June 2017.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Find the on-line programme for IMPAKT 2017 here
- Late registration and closure of the online registration system : 5 Apr. 2017
- Early Registration : 15 Feb. 2017
- Full registration fee from : 6 Apr. 2017